Let's talk about the heart chakra, the fourth energy centre which links the upper and lower chakras. Read on to find out what it is, how it becomes imbalanced, and what crystals you can use to keep it healthy.
What Is the Heart Chakra?
Seated at the centre of the 7 chakras, the heart chakra is the focal energy for love, desire, and compassion. Located in the centre of the chest and the heart area, the heart chakra is where the spiritual and physical bodies meet. Others describe it as the link to all forms of love and to our higher self.
The heart chakra is associated with the air element and has the colour green. The symbol of the heart chakra is a 6-pointed star inside a 12-petaled lotus flower (mandala).
The star is formed by an upward-pointing triangle (symbol of the higher chakras) and the downward-pointing triangle (lower chakras)”an allusion to the convergence of the 2 chakra groups. The star also illustrates the meeting of the divine masculine (shiva) and the divine feminine (shakti) energies.
The petals of the lotus flower represents the 12 qualities of the heart chakra, namely:
In Sanskrit, the heart chakra is called anahata meaning unhurt, unstruck, and unbeaten, according to the Yoga Journal. It's also the wellspring of a person's profound truths; of personal transformation, emotional control, and love for oneself.
Physically, anahata is linked to the heart, lungs, upper body muscles, and the immune system. Spiritually, it is associated with joy, unconditional love, and the ability to build a deep, rich, and satisfying relationship with others.
So, what causes energy imbalance in the heart chakra?
Talking about heart chakra healing, Dr. Amit Ray (an author, philosopher, and spiritual master) says that stress, anxiety, tension, and emotional pain can block the flow of energy in the anahata.
Negative experiences from past romances and unhealthy relationships with people and the world can also contribute to this problem.
What Are the Signs of an Imbalanced Heart Chakra?
Pay close attention to your feelings, thoughts, actions, and sensations. Some signs that your heart chakra may be imbalanced are:
- Holding grudges against your loved ones
- Frequent jealousy
- Fear of intimacy
- Victim mindset
- A nagging need to always save/fix people
- Neediness in relationships
- Social anxiety
- Being critical of oneself
- Irritability towards others
- Struggling to give and/or receive love
If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, it may be time to undergo chakra healing to enhance your well being. Chakra healing is the practice of cleansing, clearing, supporting, and strengthening the heart chakra.
Heal Your Heart Chakra Using These 5 Crystals
Using healing crystals (green and pink ones) is one of the common ways to restore harmony in your heart chakra.
Wear, meditate, and/or display these stones in your personal space to increase love and compassion in your heart, better your relationships, and to allow the smooth flow of energy through your chakras:
1. Green aventurine - Protector of the heart chakra. It increases focus and stabilizes the emotions. Meditating with this stone helps calm your emotions and relaxes your senses, especially if you're leading a busy lifestyle.
2. Malachite - Its rich green energy absorbs negativity, breaks down negative thought patterns, and aids in letting go of controlling behaviours, unmet expectations, and failed relationships. Wear malachite jewellery to open your heart to receiving and giving more love.
3. Rhodochrosite - Deep cleans the anahata chakra and eases stubborn blockages resulting from emotional traumas. In the process, it increases self-confidence, doubt, and self-criticism. It also awakens the inner child and promotes selfless and unconditional love. Wear it or place it by your bedside. Gift if to a friend who needs healing from past traumas.
4. Rhodonite - Stimulates forgiveness and honest yet gentle speech. Rhodonite is most helpful in fostering forgiveness, calming emotions, and increasing compassion in couples during difficult times in their relationship. It also restores harmony and rediscovery of love for each other. Wear rhodonite as a pin, brooch, or a long necklace (that extends to the heart) so that it sits right at the top of your heart chakra.
5. Rose quartz - It's the ultimate and most important stone for healing the heart chakra. Rose quartz helps deepen your relationship with yourself and others while purifying your own heart. If you're in the process of moving on after a breakup, want to be more intimate with your family, or love yourself better, meditate with this crystal. You can also place it near your bed.
- Chakra Healing 101: What Happens When Your Chakras Are ‘Imbalanced’?
- Demotivated? Your Root Chakra May Be Blocked. Here's How to Heal It.
- Solar Plexus Chakra Healing for Increased Personal Power and Self-Acceptance
- Creative Slump? Dry Sex Life? It's Not You”It's Your Blocked Sacral Chakra
- How to Heal Your Throat Chakra and Be a Better Communicator
- How to Open Your Third Eye and Boost Your Psychic Abilities
- Crown Chakra: The Seat of Higher Consciousness and Spiritual Growth
Dienstman, A. M. (2019a, March 3). 5 Ways to Open Your Heart Chakra. Retrieved September 17, 2022, from https://www.goodnet.org/articles/5-ways-to-open-your-heart-chakra
Ancillette, M. (2022, January 27). 9 Most Powerful Crystals and Stones for the Heart Chakra. Retrieved September 17, 2022, from https://angelgrotto.com/crystals-stones/heart-chakra/
Everything You Need to Know About the Heart Chakra. (2022, September 4). Retrieved September 17, 2022, from https://www.yogajournal.com/yoga-101/chakras-yoga-for-beginners/intro-heart-chakra-anahata/
How to Heal Your Heart Chakra. (2022, August 24). Retrieved September 17, 2022, from https://www.bemytravelmuse.com/heart-chakra/
Mandell, K. (2018, February 14). OPEN YOUR HEART- Heart Chakra Meditation. Retrieved September 17, 2022, from http://empoweryoganj.com/blog/2018/2/13/open-your-heart-heart-chakra-meditation
Ray, A. (2021, December 23). Heart Chakra Healing: Everything you Need to Know. Retrieved September 17, 2022, from https://amitray.com/how-heart-chakra-can-improve-your-life/
The Ultimate Guide to Heart Chakra Healing For Complete Beginners. (2021, July 17). Retrieved September 17, 2022, from https://lonerwolf.com/heart-chakra-healing/#:%7E:text=Heart%20chakra%20healing%20involves%20using,within%20the%20body%2Dmind%20organism.
Yugay, I. (2022, June 2). 9 Powerful Techniques to Open Your Heart Chakra. Retrieved September 16, 2022, from https://blog.mindvalley.com/heart-chakra/