According to Indian spirituality, the body has 7 chakras or the main energy centres of the body. The last of these chakras is the crown chakra (or sahasrara in Sanskrit).
Since it is the highest point where all the energies from the lower chakras meet, you must open the 6 lower chakras first before opening the crown chakra. An active sahasrara chakra connects you to a higher consciousness and unlocks a higher level of spirituality.
Find out how you can activate your crown chakra and start your journey to achieving a higher state of being.
What Is the Crown Chakra?
The crown chakra is located at the top of the head (cerebral cortex) and it represents transformation and spiritual consciousness. While the exact location and function of the sahasrara has yet to be confirmed by scientific studies, this chakra is linked to the pituitary gland and is believed to govern the brain and the entire nervous system.
The crown chakra acts as the entry point for the human life force. It distributes the energy from the universe to the body's subtle energy system.
The chakra system began in India between 1500 and 500 BCE. It was first introduced in India's ancient text called the Vedas. The Sanskrit word sahasrara translates to thousand-petaled.
The colour of the crown chakra is violet to white. It is commonly thought of as concentric circles of flower petals representing the divine lotus (hence the name sahasrara).
What Is the Function of the Crown Chakra?
In essence, the crown chakra influences your spiritual self. While the lower chakras are associated with our basic needs and human experience, the crown chakra is associated with higher spiritual truths, wisdom, and universal consciousness. Others even describe the sahasrara as the gateway to one's cosmic self.
Some psychological and behavioural characteristics linked to the crown chakra include:
- Higher states of consciousness
- Connection with the limitless and formless
- Awareness of what is sacred
- Realization of and liberation from limiting beliefs
- Clarity and enlightened wisdom
- Bliss, ecstasy
The crown chakra also influences a person's cognitive functions like focus, memory, and intelligence. Working with the crown chakra ultimately leads to a higher state of being.
Anahana, a global leader in mental health and wellbeing education, says that strengthening our connection with our spirit gives us a sense of unity, power, and self-knowledge. It also allows us to gain a clearer understanding of our physical world. This enforces a positive attitude towards life. And when we have a positive attitude, we're able to overcome daily challenges in life.
What Happens When the Crown Chakra Is Imbalanced?
There are a number of factors that can throw off the balance of the chakra system. These include stress, conflict, emotional trauma, and illness.
Below are the symptoms of an imbalanced crown chakra:
- Poor coordination
- Lack of focus
- Mental fog
- Lack of inspiration
- Fixating on past or future events
- Spiritual ignorance
- Rejection of spiritual possibilities (closed-mindedness)
- Feeling disconnected to anything outside of yourself
- Inability to find peace of mind
- Greed and materialism
- Lack of morals
- Selfish behaviour
- Obsessive attachment to spiritual matters
NOTE: Get medical or professional help right away if you're experiencing any of these symptoms.
Ways to Heal and Balance Your Crown Chakra
Remember that your crown chakra is the seat of your spiritual health. Meaning, any issues related to this chakra can't be healed by worldly fixes like food, money, or sex. Restoring the balance of your crown chakra requires more than just consuming feel-good elements.
Georgina Sidall, a wellness coach at Vitalita, recommends these practices to give your sahasrara chakra a boost:
1. Be quiet.
The best way to connect with your crown chakra is through silence. That is, spending time in a quiet and distraction-free space where you can sit still, check in with yourself, and reconnect to your thoughts, feelings, and desires.
Grab your journal and ponder on the following questions:
- How do you feel about silence and doing nothing?
- Do you intentionally seek silence or avoid it? If you avoid it, how do you distract yourself?
- Can you sit quietly without feeling the need to think or do something? Do you find silence uncomfortable? Is there something you're trying not to think about?
- When was the last time you walked, worked, or drove in silence? How would it feel for you to do this?
- How can you make space for more stillness into your routine? This could be drinking your coffee in the morning free of distraction or meditating while brushing your teeth and just be fully present.
If you're new to the practice, try retreating into silence for 10 minutes a day. As you build on the habit, you'll be able to rewire your brain, slow down your thoughts, and observe what your sould and intuition say.
Meditation helps reveal your thoughts in plain view which is necessary for decompressing your mind. There's a specific meditation tailored to the crown chakra. This type of meditation promotes deep understanding, intuitive knowledge, and enhanced spirituality.
3. Expand your mind through learning.
Self study (or svadhyaya in yoga) is the practice of deepening your yoga practice beyond the yoga mat. This also means studying wisdom teaching to better understand ourselves, nurture our intuition, and boost our inner strength. You can practice svadhyaya by reading books and listening to podcasts.
4. Practice gratitude.
Gratitude brings to mind the bigger things in life (love, joy, peace, and freedom) that far outweigh any challenges or inconveniences we may experience in life. A mindset of gratitude also primes your mind to be optimistic. Plus, it lifts the mood and lightens the heart.
As soon as you wake up, try to list at least 3 things that you're grateful for and thank the Divine for them.
- Chakra Healing 101: What Happens When Your Chakras Are ‘Imbalanced’?
- Demotivated? Your Root Chakra May Be Blocked. Here's How to Heal It
- Creative Slump? Dry Sex Life? It's Not You”It's Your Blocked Sacral Chakra
- Solar Plexus Chakra Healing for Increased Personal Power and Self-Acceptance
- Open Up Your Heart Chakra to Release Love, Healing, and Forgiveness
- How to Heal Your Throat Chakra and Be a Better Communicator
- How to Open Your Third Eye and Boost Your Psychic Abilities
Use Healing Crystals to Open Your Chakra
Because they're rich in cosmic energy and positive vibrations, crystals are a great tool for activating and balancing the crown chakra. Use white- and purple-coloured healing crystals when working with your crown chakra.
Here are our top picks for crown chakra healing and the benefits they offer:
This purple quartz variety is the quintessential crown chakra crystal. Amethyst oozes with spiritual vibes, works to reduce stress and anxiety, and prepares your chakra to receive the energy of the universe. Use this crystal to get into deep meditation mode, raise your vibration, and transform negative energy into loving energy.
The master healer of crystals, clear quartz removes blockages and ensures the smooth flow of energy through all the chakras. When used on the crown chakra, clear quartz opens your mind and heart for a life-changing encounter with your higher self. In addition, this crystal will rouse your deepest yet forgotten desires and will remind you of your untapped inner power.
Selenite combines the powers of truth, integrity, and positive energy. It fills you with courage so you can start living a purpose-driven life and primes your mind for higher thinking. If you want to be connected with your spirit guides, Selenite will act as the channel for wisdom and insight when connecting with your spirit guide.
When it comes to infusing peace in your mind and heart, nothing does the work better than lepidolite. It also balances your mental and physical wellbeing. It removes fear around your crown chakra and allows you to embrace happiness.
This stone is associated with feminine energy, which flows through the heart, third eye, and crown chakras. Moonstone will assist you as you enter spiritual growth and renewal so you don't get overwhelmed. Its feminine energy will wrap you in gentleness and acceptance so you won't have to chase things that aren't meant for you, force yourself to change abruptly, and to let go of things that don't serve your highest purpose.
How to Use Crown Chakra Stones
- Practice yoga poses (tree pose, lotus pose, or headstand) that opens up the highest chakra
- Hold the stone in your hand when sitting in silence.
- Use the stone when meditating. Visualize a white light surrounding your crown.
- Hold it while saying affirmations related to spirituality and higher consciousness (e.g. I honour the Divine within me, I am open to new ideas, I let go of my attachments, I am my highest, most authentic self, I am aligned with my soul's purpose and truth,)
- Keep the stone in your pocket or hold it while sitting in the sun or walking in nature.
- Place the stone on your desk while studying, reading a book, or listening to a podcast.
Crown chakra (Sahasrara) - Unblock The Seventh Chakras Divine Energy. (2022, November 5). https://www.anahana.com/en/yoga/crown-chakra
Crown Chakra Stones: 13 Essential Crystals For The Sahasrara. (n.d.). Tiny Rituals. https://tinyrituals.co/blogs/tiny-rituals/crown-chakra-stones
Everything You Need to Know About the Crown Chakra. (2021, September 2). Yoga Journal. https://www.yogajournal.com/yoga-101/chakras-yoga-for-beginners/intro-sahasrara-crown-chakra/
Know Your Crown Chakra And How To Tap Into Its Power. (2021, June 9). Chakras.info. https://www.chakras.info/crown-chakra/
Masti, Y. (2019, April 24). The Meaning of Sahasrara “ The Crown Chakra. Yogamasti. https://yogamasti.co.uk/the-meaning-of-sahasrara-the-crown-chakra/
mindbodygreen. (2022, September 21). An Introduction To The Crown Chakra + How To Heal It. Mindbodygreen. https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/sahasrara-how-to-feel-heal-the-crown-chakra
Rai, V. (2017, September 27). The theory of energy chakras: How to balance your crown chakra. Vogue India. https://www.vogue.in/content/the-theory-of-energy-chakras-how-to-balance-your-crown-chakra
Siddall, G. (2021, June 7). 4 Tips to Blow Your Mind + Activate the Crown Chakra. Vitalita. https://vitalitahealthandfitness.com/meditation/crown-chakra/
Tewari, A. (2022, July 13). 100 Crown Chakra Affirmations for Spiritual Awakening. Gratitude - the Life Blog. https://blog.gratefulness.me/crown-chakra-affirmations/